Man, that quote is sobering. I read it and re-read it a few times in order to grasp its meaning and then did some soul searching. Fear is paralyzing…it is debilitating. It stops you cold and though we hear, yes we know that God has not given us that spirit, somehow being told that does not lessen its impact nor does it stamp out what causes the fear. Healing from what causes you fear is a process…it involves an intention to unmask the lie, exposing it and then dealing with it, facing it until it loses its power, and keeping it captive lest it prove to be disobedient!! So what to do? Face your enemy of fear and kick sand in its face. Then cast down any imagination/reasoning/lie that exalts itself above the knowledge of God’s word. Darkness cannot remain where light is present. In light of last week’s happenings back east and evil’s reminder that this world is getting darker by the moment, I thought I’d take a whack at fear and remind the enemy who’s the boss!!
Tonight as I was having my selah moment, I turned over to Psalm 91 and within it I saw that it was brimming with conditions, declarations, instructions, reminders and so many promises. My prayer is that you receive and apply the many promises contained therein, as you yield to their conditions. I broke it down and personalized it as follows.
Condition: Those who live in the shelter of the Most High
Promise: will find rest in the shadow of the Almighty
- You alone are my refuge, my place of safety; You are my God, and I trust You
- You will rescue me from every trap and protect me from deadly disease
- You will cover me – Your huge, outstretched arms protect me – under them I am perfectly safe; Your arms fend off all harm
Do not dread the disease that stalks in darkness; nor the disaster that strikes at midday.
Promise: Though a thousand fall at my side, though ten thousand are dying around me, these evils will not touch me
Condition: IF I make You my shelter
Promise: no evil will come near my home
- For You will order Your angels to protect me wherever I go
- They will hold me up with their hands so I won’t even hurt my foot on a stone
- I will trample upon lions and cobras; I will crush fierce lions and serpents under my feet
- You will rescue those who love You (I love you)
- You will protect those who trust in Your name (I do)
- When I call on You, You will answer
- You will be with me in trouble
- You will rescue and honor me
- You will reward me with a long life and give me Your salvation
Now, go ahead…Selah!